Saturday, February 22, 2014

Oui! Oui! The Gaultier Exhibit!


New York, I love you. A terrible day of weather, but I can always find inspiration somewhere to brighten my mood. A quick text to a pal and a jump on the subway and we have landed at the Brooklyn Museum to view the Gaultier exhibit in it's final days. A glass of Malbec and an espresso shot at Saul's (Charming!) and then to view! (Meaning to see, not meaning "The View" where women bark to see who can get their opinion across the loudest... I prefer Kathy Lee and Hoda...but that's also because they are hilarious booze hounds!)

  So, I wanted to share this gentleman's incredible perspective on beauty, perfection, differences that make us unique and how he expressed that in his vision. This man was behind Madonna's cone boobage and there were so many stunning visuals of how he juxtaposed the pretty, the ugly, the kooky all to make a very sexy and intriguing exhibit. I don't so burrough typically, as I am Manhattan Meggie, but this was worth it:


"I respect individualities, and I like particularities. I mix and match, collect, twist, and crossbreed codes. Past, present, here, elsewhere, masculine, feminine, remarkable, humdrum- it all coexists." - John Paul Gaultier


This and many of the models and moving faces that were projected onto the faces. It made them so personable. You saw the joie de vivre of John Paul through his work as opposed to the dark and ominous personal of the McQueen exhibit. 

 This one came alive and was singing opera music. Set with that backdrop of New York City streets and it just screamed tres chic. Especially with the pleasing palates of creams, champagnes, texture, and lace... I was in lady heaven. Don't you think this should be my front room?? Hollywood glam style: 







"Our body, the way we present ourselves- it's a form of communication. Our clothing, hair, and body decoration reflect our true identity."- JPG







"Perfection is relative and beauty is subjective. I wanted to make imperfection admirable. Sometimes a different energy and bearing or an unusual type of body catches my eye and makes me want to invent something..." -JPG


Now this is what I call a cap and gown. I would have shown up to my graduation if I got to look this charming. Full lady business. I'm obsessed. 




 These are only a few of my favorites from the exhibit, but it was worth sharing his message. We all have this ideal of who we want to be when we "grow up" and putting on a face to say that all is well and good, but the beauty is in the mess, sweet friends. It is the hard lessons that teach us the most and the universe gives you the exact lessons you need for change and growth. Though change and growth are never easy, we must keep placing one foot in from of the other and greet each day as a clean slate. Commit to yourself and your well being. Show up for yourself. You are worth it. If you don't, no one else will. 

xoxo
Her LadyMess

No comments:

Post a Comment