Wednesday, February 19, 2014

Wine Down Wednesday

Wine down Wednesday! Yesterday was national drink wine day! I'm sorry??? No one prepared me! Thank goodness I had plenty of birthday booze to choose from! My friends CLEARLY know I am a Jesus Juicer as I received three wine glasses and 6 bottles of wine total. I had plenty to choose from yesterday! I was given some favorites Cakebread (the magical Chardonnay which is cleaner than most California Chardonnays. You know me and my buttery creamy delicious Chardonnays. I have reviewed the Cakebread before on Her LadyMess as well as another delightful birthday juice I received, the Conundrum blend, oooooo and the Cupcake Red Velvet... So, I won't go back over them. I'll just give them a slow clap, standing ovation from right here in my NYC apartment :)
New bottles given to taste test:
 I have always been a big fan of this Oregon pinot gris. When I was in Portland doing the world premiere of Somewhere in Time we clearly made it to wine country and this vineyard was beautiful. I was thrilled that my pal was so thoughtful to want to try an Oregan Chardonnay with me! This Chardonnay, again not Cali butter style as it was unoaked. It was very smooth and delightfully fruity (Just like Mario Cantone without the side of sass!) Definite notes of lemon and lime coming through with another type of stone fruit... kiwi perhaps? Sounds random but it was refreshing enough that I considered it my hydration for the day :)
 I would get this as a gift for someone who is a Savvy B fan in a heart beat if you want to change their minds about Chardonnay!


Who has ever met a Malbec from Argentina they didn't like??? Always the perfect gift for a red wine enthusiast and a palate pleaser across the board. Typical Malbecs are flavored just as it is colored: plummy, dark cherry, berry flavored with just a hint of smoke and grit to make it a full bodied glass of deliciousness. I know it doesn't sound great when you are describing something going into your system in a similar family as dirt, but trust me.  Malbecs are stellar and cost effective. The Trapiche needed a bit of time to open up or a decanter might have helped. I found it led with the smoke and grit and the fruits were dry and opposed to luscious. It seemed that this particular brand was backward in how you want a Malbec to feel. 

Fun fact: A Cahor is a french version of a Malbec. Kind of sounds like a  red-headed french prostitute...). Awkward.




What would a party be without some bubbly? Or Pro-sexy as I like to call it. If you are going to make me drink champs, which I am not usually a big bubbles advocate (and I'm not talking about my boob-age... my family called me Bubbles during puberty and I never could let it go...TMI!) then let's make it prosecco. An Italian version of Champagne, delightfully inexpensive, and it delightful with a few frozen berries in it :) Not to mention pretty! Very pale in color and light on the palate. This would be great for a pinot grigio lover if they want to try something different. You know how I feel about the PG (pinot grigio...not pregnancy...give up the jesus juice for 9 months?? NOOOOOOOOO. I'm only KIND OF kidding...)



Cheers,
 xoxo
Her LadyMess

No comments:

Post a Comment