Thursday, February 7, 2013

Birthday Bonanza


Some people get depressed at the idea of a birthday. We always looked forward to presents and parties at kids and rarely paid attention to the idea of the number. Then, as AGED, we got excited for milestones : Sweet Sixteen you can drive, Eighteen you are an adult (by law anyway), and 21 you can drink. I always wanted to be in my 30's. A time in which it seemed you had it all together, your life was set and settled, and you knew yourself inside and out. My goal growing up was to have a life like Gwyneth Paltrow. Articulate, lovely, and radiating from a heart of gold that makes her such a beautiful person. Her life has broadened since I was a teen. Now she is a wife, mother, author, foodie, and just a class act. I still want to be her when I grow up :)

I just turned 29 and have done the usual, set up an entire we of brunches and social engagements to ring in a FABULOUS year. Why celebrate a day when you can have the week? I woke up to pink roses and an edible arrangement of fresh fruits and chocolate covered bananas. Then, I had brunch at my favorite gem in this city : Kashkaval (where they presented me with a gift certificate since I am an episode of Cheers in that place... you remember that them sing: Where everybody knows your name!") I am THE regular there...I prefer to call myself the Duchess of Kashkaval. My pals and I had a bottle of Pinot Blanc, a bottle of Bodegas Mesache, and a double espresso shot. I was able to get some journaling done in the afternoon and was able to smile knowing I have made the day exactly what I wanted and needed to it be.

I sit here this morning with my coffee and typing by my vase of roses having a breakfast of fresh fruit. And I don't mean this kind:





A bit of fresh fruit and some chocolate covered bananas, and SPEAKING OF BANANAS: My cocktail celebration is at Monkey Bar! www.monkeybarnewyork.com/




A Sex and the City classic where Big and Carrie go and listen to Jazz music. It was on a restaurant week options (a glorious time to take advantage of the fancy shmancy places you could never afford otherwise!) I have my cocktail dress picked out and I am sitting with my up do and my new Kate Spade earrings on and wishing I could make the day go faster. But, what have I always said, it is about looking forward to something. Always makes for a better day.




Cheers to Her LadyMess in year 29! Let us make it a classy year of living, loving, and asking the questions.

XOXO
Her Lady Mess

No comments:

Post a Comment