Thursday, December 15, 2011

Wines-day : Trader Joes

TRADER JOES!


If you are lucky enough to have one of these stores, you had best be utilizing them! Especially if you are a recession wino, like myself! This is the best way to taste some new things! They carry a plethora of different varietals that are totally affordable. I know people training to be sommeliers (fancy speak for wine stewards ... must I break it down MORE?? Okay, people that know the "Jesus Juice" up and down, in and out!) that buy a variety of wines here weekly just to train their palettes at an affordable rate!

Currently I am doing a show in St. Louis, and their location here sells some of my favorite labels at a GREAT price. (Ex. Bogle, Cupcake, Toasted Head, Mark West, etc.) They have some interesting new and diverse labels as well. Here were some new wines I tried this week :





The 2010 Honey Bunch Chardonnay It tastes just like it sounds... smooth honey with a vanilla finish. It does not bring oak nor butter to the table. It is a chardonnay that I think my sister and I could agree on! For $5.99 at TJ's I was skeptical, but it is a chardonnay to be tested. Especially if you are trying to expand, teach, and challenge your palate.













2006 Reves Priorat I was excited to try this red blend. It sounded like it was right up my alley. A blend of Carignan, Garnacha, and Syrah. YUM. Seems like it would be the "punch me in the face" red that I love... And when I check out, the gal said, "Oh! This is a good one not many people know about yet." So, I saved it as a special bottle to open ... wahWAH! Upon smelling it there was nothing rich about it - then the taste was nothing but tannins! It opened up eventually, but still not a wine I would buy again. After it was dacanted a bit I could pick up some chocolate and wood, but still rough. Previous to this bottle, I had only seen carignan giving a small percentage to the blend. In the Priorat, it holds the most weight. Safe to say, my taste buds would rather the Carignan as an chorus girl : There to support, not to lead.








One that I did fall head over heels for this week was the Spiral Wines Cab Sav! Rex and Goliath used to be my favorite "bang for your buck cab" around, but I was TICKLED with this! It tastes like a blackberry velvet cake. Oh, have you never had a dessert like that before ? Neither have I until this wine! AND I didn't have to waste a billion and a half calories when I devoured it. During the holidays, we have to make choices. I would rather enjoy a GREAT glass of a jesus juice with strong characteristics, than a mediocre dessert that leaves no impression! Unless it is my mama's chocolate sheet cake, my friend Aaron's gooey butter cake, or Graeter's ice cream ... then all of my rules go out the window :)
xoxo
Her LadyMess

No comments:

Post a Comment