Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Holiday Greetings from Her LadyMess!




What is it about the holidays? I play Christmas music 24 hours a day, baking is suddenly a must-do, and the dark nights are lit up with little lights that glow with warmth and magic. My inner child comes out to play during this time and I am constantly tickled at seeing what she has to have to make her holiday season BRIGHT!





1) Everyone needs a tree! I don't care if it is a baby tree for your coffee table... it doesn't even have to be real! I also have a cool wrought iron one with antique decorations of the twelve days of Christmas (Okay, it's my mama's. She let me borrow some classy decorations for the apartment I am currently residing in because it looked like Beetlejuice's apartment when I moved in - everything was black and white and I mean EVERYTHING. So, if you can change it, DECORATE it!)





2) Baking! Now, I am not much of a cook, but I do love to BAKE! During the holidays, everyone seems to say "I care" through yummy treats! Let's do a combination of naughty and nice, shall we ?

NAUGHTY: My Mama's Chocolate Sheet Cake
It's great frozen too! My personal favorite way to eat it! Make it the day before so that the icing soaks into the cake and then freeze it. It's ridiculous! Oh, and you have to lick the spoon! I used to love cleaning that bowl when my mama was done. Ah, memories :)
Joan’s Chocolate Sheet Cake

1 cookie pan with sides – spray with Pam and set aside

Sift 1 and 1/2 cups flour
1 cup sugar
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking soda

Bring just to a boil:
1 stick margarine
1 cup cold water
6 tablespoons of Hershey cocoa
Remove from heat
Add to dry mixture blend well and add
2 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla
Add ½ cup sour milk (*Add 1 teaspoon vinegar to ½ cup milk (use 2 % or whole milk)
Mix well

Pour onto prepared cookie sheet and tap cookie sheet a few times on counter to remove air bubbles. Bake @ 350 for 30 minutes. Check cake after 25 minutes. Middle should spring back when touched.

Prepare icing 5 minutes before cake is done. Pour over cake when cake comes out of oven. (Icing will set up fast)

Icing:
Begin making the icing 5 minutes before the cake is ready to come out of the oven.
Melt 1 stick margarine
6 tablespoons cocoa
1 box (1 lb) of C&H powdered sugar
¼ cup milk
1 teaspoon vanilla
Mix well with portable mixer
Should be smooth, not gritty J and be ready to pour over your cake.









NICE: My love affair with Trader Joe's continues! This gingerbread cake is DIVINE! It's rich in ginger and a hint of molasses. All it calls for in addition to the mix is water, eggs, and oil. So, to cut the calories, I exchanged the 1/2 cup of oil (BLECH!) to a 1/2 cup of applesauce. It also added to the moisture of the cake. Yum Yum Yum.







3) Lights ! Lights! Lights! I love coming home from rehearsal and plugging in my Christmas light! I enjoy keeping little white lights up throughout the year. It's ambiance, people! A lot of places sell CHEAP white lights or colored strands - and the ones that are attached to garland are even better! I have them draped over my giant mirror and one framing my free standing kitchen cabinet. You can also put them around window, doors, etc. Just PUT THEM UP! (Sorry...I'm yelling. I just get excited!)

4) Christmas Jammies!
Remember footy pajamas as a kid ? Or, if you are my sister, you will remember them as an adult. (I bought her some a couple of years ago for Christmas. Yes, Virgina, they DO make adult footie pajamas! If you are looking for some check out : www.jumpinjammerz.com)
I myself have been slipping into a bright cherry red Victoria's Secret flannel baby doll nightie. I got it last year and it's cozy! I just can't give over to a t shirt and boxer shorts. EW. I like feeling like a lady at all hours of the day. (Shocking, I know!) :P

5) Sounds of the season! My two favorite Christmas songs :

"I want a Hippopotamus for Christmas" It might sound like a midget or creepy child is singing it... but it makes my heart happy! Never heard it? Take a listen:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w5vQgKRmnuU&feature=related

And the other would be Karen Carpenter's "Merry Christmas Darling". Too sentimental for you ? Will you enjoy it as a hilarious music video? You're welcome!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YR1ujXx2p-I

Let out your sillies and bring some holiday joy to your life and to those around you. It's NEVER too late to decorate. I tend to leave decorations up until my birthday... in February... I will not apologize for trying to prolong the holiday magic well after the new year!


xoxo
Her LadyMess

No comments:

Post a Comment