Saturday, June 13, 2015

Gotta LOVE Oh, What a Night!

   Yesterday, our meditation was about LOVE. Four little letters with a huge meaning. Love for ourselves and for those around us and the importance of never trying to expect anyone to be other than what they are. Their truest self. If you have genuine love for somone, celebrate them. In my favorite movie "Great Expectations", Estella says, "We are who we are. People don't change." I think there is always room for improvement in us all. However, we can ony do that for ourselves and lead by example. "Be the change you wish to see in the world", Ghandi said. If people see a change in you, or a life that they admire, you have already inspired them to take action. My favorite quote and how I approach the people I love the most in my life is: "Expect nothing. Accept everything." Accept and love them in every way you know how and expect nothing in return...that way, everything is of the greatest surprise.

   After meditation, we cleaned up some dance numbers before attempting our first run through!
I was blown away by the talent in the room of the "Oh, What a Night!" cast. Sonoma is going to be blown away next week. We have everything in this concert - tap dancing, pop music medleys, comic duets, heart wrenching ballads, kooky up tempos... no matter what you want to hear, it will all be there.

   A run through is always daunting the first time. There are so many blanks to fill in! As many times as I have gone through a rehearsal process in my lifetime, I still get nervous for the first run through. Actors put a lot of pressure on themselves to be perfect. Perfect doesn't exist. Amy Miller, the artistic director of Transcendence Theatre Company, always remind us "4%" - Meaning, we will improve little by little. Progress can be made each time just by a simple 4%. It really takes the pressure off.
I passed out some Artist Way cards to each member of the cast. They have one word reminders such as: Find the Magic, Support, Art is a Process... basic reminders that I thought everyone would like to take into the run through with them. I have already gushed about how fantastic the show was and we still have a week before an audience shows up! It was a fully lived day for sure! Cocktails in the square, anyone? I said yes to dinner at the Swiss Hotel. Their signature glarify (pronounced glare-if-ee) is a basic irish coffee - but their secret recipe. It was delish. Then, a glass of savvy b to go with my seared ahi tuna. A dark and rustic restaurant that makes you feel like you are in the wild west was the perfect way to relax after such a highly intense rehearsal.

   I drove back to Glen Ellen as the sun set in Sonoma. I took in all of the vineyards as I passed and was so grateful for this entire day, this experience, and feeling so fufilled watching my incredible cast share their talents. Everyone has a moment in their particular element. What I love about this compnay is that there is no star of the show. Everyone shines in their own way and at their own moment. With every number I thought, this might be my favorite...no, this might be my favorite.... well, they are all favorites. This is the concert that doesn't quit!! Get ready, Sonoma!! Here comes: "Oh, What a Night!"

xoxo
Her LadyMess

No comments:

Post a Comment